The proliferation of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, presents a need for mobile-friendly websites. This need became inevitable a few of years ago when many online businesses delve into mobile marketing strategies (i.e. SMS or text ads) in order to reach new audiences, while retaining the old ones via mobile channels.
For small business owners, it is never too late to develop online presence for both computer and mobile device users. The first step is to choose a small business website solution that can help you build a website with a responsive design. With a responsive design, your viewers can see a good layout of your website whenever they prefer to use a mobile device.
To better understand the current impact of mobile-friendly websites, consider these stats:
In 2011, Microsoft created and published an infographic that shows internet usage via mobile will overtake desktop by 2014.
And according to Google…
- 80% of online searchers leave their homes with their mobile device
- smartphones are used: 97% at home, 83% on the go, and 78% in shops
- 70% of mobile searchers are connected with a business
- 52% of them called the business/service
- 50% looked up on a map or got directions to that business
- 66% of mobile searchers visited the business and 48% visited the website
- 36% of mobile searchers made a purchase
There are many online reports and whitepapers showing stats similar to these. What they all convey is the opportunity to convert mobile searchers into customers. If you haven’t considered how visitors are interacting with your site through their mobile devices, you should.
If you're considering converting your site to be mobile responsive, consider these on four important things:
(1) Ensure you have a mobile-friendly website so your existing customers and prospects can shop your products and services on both desktop and mobile devices.
(2) Find ways to interact and engage with your potential customers, especially during promotional specials. Keep your customers informed and engaged.
(3) Use mobile-specific tools/features to enhance the customer experience. Since this depends on the type of business and customers you have, think about the best way to get their attention without offending or bothering them. Typically, companies offer informative articles, tips and other types of content that enhances the life of the consumer rather than selling to them.
(4) Mobile is not about technology. It is about your customers and prospects and how they use their mobile devices in finding and interacting with you. A successful mobile strategy entails getting more (new) customers while also selling more to existing clients.
Why go mobile?
- It’s easier to immerse customers into your brand if they get the full electronic experience of your company on all devices.
- Having a responsive design is good for your site SEO.
- Quite simply, it gives you more opportunity to sell!
Updating your website to a mobile-friendly format is essential to gain more customers. Most importantly, you have another way to keep the existing customers up-to-date and engaged.
Should you need a website update to make it mobile-friendly, Fast Track is here to help. Contact us today and let's begin this journey.